Motion FROM BARNET UNISION: CLIMATE CHANGE IS A TRADE UNION ISSUE
#ClimateChange is a trade union issue.
It’s not enough to just demand a #ClimateChange Strike. We need joint trade union action to begin conversations with our members about how the causes of ClimateChange are already impacting on their health and well being.
Our branch has recently passed a motion which we already starting to implement .
- To commit the branch into entering urgent negotiations with Barnet Council and other employers in order to identify the following.
- The risks to the health and wellbeing of workers regularly exposed to air pollution.
- What measures/protection can be put in place to mitigate the hard of air pollution?
- What health checks can be made available to workers regularly exposed to air pollution?
- The branch contacts our union to ascertain any possible legal claims for injury at work as a result of regular expose to air pollution.
- To back the call for a climate strike on 20 September
- To support the call by the UCU for the TUC to organise a 30 minute workday solidarity stoppage to coincide with the global school student strike on the 20th.
- To call upon our national executive to support the UCU’s motion at this year’s TUC congress calling for a 30 minute workday stoppage.
For our branch to argue for and call a stoppage on the 20th September and for our branch to campaign for the maximum possible show of solidarity with school students 20th. It would be great if other trade union activists across London began similar campaigns to deal with the causes of #ClimateChange