Category Archives: Housing
The National Education Union, Hamilton House, Mabledon Place, London, WC1H 9BD
This year’s summit will be a day of workshops and talks, with guest speakers and housing campaign groups from across the UK. It will be a space to discuss the continuing housing crisis which a specific focus on the safety of our homes and the secure, safety needs of the homes of the future.
Prospective workshops include:
- Housing Associations and safety
- Effective action
- Universal Credit, arrears and evictions
- Rents and repairs
- Private renters
- Fire safety and tower blocks
- Trade Unions and Tenants and Residents Associations
More details to follow soon. If you would like to contribute or volunteer on the day or help spread the word, please get in touch.
A silent walk to take place on the 14th of every month to pay respects to those missing and those who are no longer with us. A silent walk to reflect and stand in solidarity. Unity is key in during the quest for justice and we would love to see even more people at the next walk.
Barnet activists will meet at 6pm at Latimer Road station.
When we decided to build London Renters Union, we knew there was a need and a hunger for it. It was a chance to grow from localised campaigns in London toward an organised private renters movement, and build the political power needed to transform the housing system.
- There are many evictions in Barnet
- There are more rough sleepers on
our streets than we used to see.
- People are driven to desperation by
the threat of homelessness.
Are these because of the council’s
housing policies? Are they related to debts caused by
the Bedroom tax? Or the roll out of the Universal
Credit? Are landlords using Section 21 to evict their tenants?
What do we know about these evictions and the housing situation in Barnet? Do we feel comfortable about it? How much do we care? Do we want to get organised as a community to do something to support each other and those among us who find themselves in dire housing situation?
Barnet Alliance for Public Services is hosting:
HOUSING (or the lack of it) IN BARNET – A PUBLIC MEETING
When: 16 October 6.30 pm
Where: The Greek Cypriot Centre, 2 Britannia Rd Finchley N12 9RU
1. Jasmin Parsons – Our West Hendon, Prospective Parliamentary Candidate
2. Glynn Robins – Defend Council Housing
3. Katya Nasim – London Renters Union
4. Pilgrim Tucker – Radical Housing Network
5. Joe Delaney – Grenfell community campaign
BAPS public meeting on 16 October 6.30pm Greek Cypriot Centre Britannia Road, N12, 9RU, speakers:
- Glyn Robbins, Defend Council Housing
- Jasmin Parsons, West Hendon housing campaign
- Moyra, Grenfell Community campaign; and from London Renters Union.